Kamloops Therapeutic Riding Association (KTRA) formed in 1988, we are a non-profit charitable organization that provides therapeutic horseback riding to individuals with disabilities. In addition to our programs for people with physical and psychological disabilities, KTRA has been offering Equine assisted therapeutic lessons to youth at risk in our community.
Therapeutic riding has numerous positive physical effects for those who participate in our programs, using the horse as a means of influence. There are as well many mental and emotional benefits of riding including increased self-esteem, improved concentration and improvement in socialization skills.
Horses elicit a wide range of emotions and behaviors in people of all ages, because they are prey animals they are supremely sensitive to body language, tone and touch. At the same time horses are large, powerful animals that follow quiet, strong leadership.
Who can ride?
Before participating in a Therapeutic Riding Program, all rider candidates must have a medical doctor complete a physician referral form. People with disabilities should not participate in therapeutic riding until a medical adviser and another appropriate professional such as a physiotherapist or an occupational therapist, have evaluated them and determined that riding is a safe and suitable activity for them.
5 Main Groups We Serve
Contraindications & Precautions
- We demonstrate and respect integrity, authenticity and transparency in activities and decisions.
- We embrace diversity and community partnerships.
- We recognize capability while ensuring safety.
- We recognize the value of our relationships with our equine partners and provide a level of care that promotes their optimal physical, mental and emotional well-being.
- We value and support personal and professional growth and strive for excellence
KTRA operates with a few staff members & under the direction of a volunteer board of directors & the support of over 70 volunteers.